Sunday, June 3, 2012

Ode To The Blueberry

Summer is here! Let's bake!


adore the summer months, probably more so now that I'm a teacher (hmmm wonder why that is? Riddle me that!) Along with the smell of babies in sunscreen, the visits to the sugar-white sands and clear blue waters of the coast and best tasting seafood of the year, one of the greatest heralds of the summer months is the majestic blueberry (yes, they're majestic. Don't try to argue). I eat these things like candy, ya'll, and I wanted to be sure I got the most out of their season. To start my blueberry bash, I decided to try a classic blueberry pie. But, like everything else in my life, this seemingly simple dish comes with a story!


You see, I have never been able to create a decent blueberry pie. Apple pie? No probem. Peach cobbler? Kid stuff. But my blueberry pies have always come out delicious, but in the form of blueberry syrup or blueberry mush rather than a free-standing piece of heaven. I would always just end up using my cooked filling as syrup over ice cream and the crust for texture, but not this year! This year, I did my research. I googled, I blogged, I put the feelers out, and, with the help of my dear friend, Alisha, and few more attempts at tweaking everyone else's recipe, I think I nailed it! Seriously, it's always the easy recipes that seem to be the hardest. We won't even get into how long it took me to master a grilled cheese...

So, without furthar ado, here is my successful blueberry pie, mastered just in time for Memorial Day!


You'll need:
Pillsbury pre-made pie crust - two for a 9-inch pie dish (one day when I'm amazing, I'll make the crust on my own)
3 cups blueberries (a pint and a half - eat the other half as you're baking)
Just over 1/4 cup flour (just over 1/4 C, not quite 1/3 - it's a fine line, people!)
Just under 1 cup white sugar (JUST UNDER 1C otherwise you get into blueberry mush territory - DON'T GO THERE!)
2 tsp cinnamon
Half of a lemon
Butter

Then you:
Preheat oven to 425

Line the bottom of the pie dish with one of the crusts

Mix the flour and sugar and cinnamon (add more or less cinnamon to taste!) in a bowl

Fold in blueberries

Pour the mixture into the pie dish and squeeze the lemon juice over the top. Dot with butter.

Place the second crust over the top, sealing the sides and adding slits to vent. I prefer to get my fancy pants on and do the lattice crust (what can I say, it almost makes up for the crust not being homemade!)

Melt a bit of butter and "paint" the crust. No joke, I used one of Lily's new paint brushes. Sorry, Lily.

Sprinkle the top with sugar and place in the oven

Bake 35-40 minutes. Now, this part is very important: let it cool a bit before cutting in! Otherwise, mush city! Let it get to that "daybreak in July" temp, not cool, not hot, just warm. Serve with vanilla ice cream or on its own. Nailed it!




Up next? Blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes, blueberry/blackberry cobblers, the possibilities are endless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment