Saturday, February 5, 2011

Baby's First Purchase - A Slightly Darker Post


The little lady is learning fast! Today, as Lily was playing with Daddy's XBOX controller, she decided she wanted to enhance our XBOX experience. Before we knew what was going on, she had gotten into our account and purchased 800 "points" - XBOX currency. Luckily this equals about $8 but there was also a $75 option which she just as easily could have selected. Dodged a bullet there.

Now, before y'all start rolling your eyes, please know that Lily will be raised to reach for a book before a video game (oh look at me on my high horse - I'm sure this is much more easily said than done, but while I'm planning for her future discipline, I'll plan big). Too often I see children who seem to lack the ability to function as human beings without their noses pressed against the screen of a DS. I went to dinner recently and saw a family sitting at a table nearby. The couple had four children - one being an infant. The others ranged from early elementary to late middle- school ages and each of them (minus the infant) was sitting at the table playing on their game systems. THE WHOLE TIME. Even between bites. We weren't allowed to put our elbows on the table growing up, much less put up a game of Candyland and take bites between the Gumdrop Mountain and Molasses Swamp. Now, y'all know I'd rather walk on my tongue than criticize (ha), but oh my did I have a glare just for her. And I swear she gave me that "who are you to judge?" glance right back. Well my name is Lily's Mom, and I am judging you. Long drives, down time after homework, fine. But at the table???

Dear mom who thinks she's discovered the secret to a peaceful night out with her family and has a small idea of the damage she is doing to her children mentally and socially but thinks she's a genius anyway: If your child can't be trusted to sit quietly at a table for the duration of a meal, he, she or they should not be out in public in the first place. Go home and try again later or get used to take-out. Love, Lily's Mom

Now that my little rant is over, I just wanted to record this milestone in my daughter's life - at 11 months, she had made her first purchase with Daddy's credit card. A little cliche, but adorable nonetheless! OK, unfit mother from the restaurant, now it is your turn to rag on me for the "Daughter using Daddy's credit card is cute" post and how I'm ruining her idea of self-worth by implying she needs a man's money to buy her XBOX points. Go!

1 comment: